Tuesday, January 5, 2016

A Few of My Favorite [Baby] Things

There are a few things that I just don't know what I would do without, or that have truly made my life as a mother so much easier. I have thought of things over the last ~2 years and have had intentions of giving them as gifts to my friends as they have babies. I forget things a lot, or wait until it's too last minute, which is a problem for gifting, since most of them need to be purchased online or require a trip to Toledo. Anyway, recently, I made a list of the favorites I could think of on my phone. I decided maybe since I am terrible at actually gifting these to those who could use them, I can at least share and show them on here so they can get them themselves or register for them for their showers. I may update this once I have Baby #2 since I am sure that I am forgetting things that I loved with Corbo. I'll try to go in a use order... Starting with my most favorite:

Aden and Anais Swaddle Blankets
Found on Amazon & many stores
These big, thin, soft blankets are perfect for a true swaddle, which I am a super-huge fan of. They are lightweight enough to not make your baby super-hot in the summer, and big enough to wrap them tightly and tuck in for a secure swaddle. I would love to show you how I swaddle my baby... come for a visit in March, or bring me yours. There are generic ones now but I would make sure to feel them first, as some are not as soft as others. Also, Aden & Anais make a super soft version that is to die for... and even more expensive... but oh so soft!

The next few were life savers for me but not as cute as swaddle blankets...

Mother Love Nipple Cream
Motherlove Nipple Cream Sore Cracked Nursing Nipples, 1 Ounce
Found on Amazon
This is something that my friend recommended to me when I was pregnant with my first. It is WAY better than lanolin. Lanolin is sticky. Sticky is not cool for anything on your boobs, ever, in my opinion, but especially if they get sore or tender, since your poor nipples will stick to your bra or nursing pad and you'll have to peel that off. Ouch. Not cool. This is and lightweight and very effective. I put it on alllllll the time for prevention and I never had a single issue. And there are lots of issues to be had. Oh! and it's all natural and organic. Score! It is safe for consumption, so no worries about your little baby eating it when it's time to breastfeed. Apparently also works well as a diaper rash ointment. Who knew. (I have used it for a lip balm already too, but since I hate olive oil, I immediately regretted that decision.)

Medela Steam Bags
Found on Amazon and most stores
These little bags are awesome for the working, breastfeeding momma! You can use them multiple times and they are very simple to use. All you do is rinse off your pump parts, throw them in the bag with some water and microwave it for a couple minutes. Tada! Clean pump!

Medela Pump Wipes
Found on Amazon and some stores
Another excellent tool to have for the working, breastfeeding momma! Just wipe down the parts. That's it. Ready to go for another pump session. These are a little more on the pricey side for what they are- and it's one time use for each- but requires even less effort (like going to the kitchen/breakroom) than the steam bags.

Medela Pumping Bra
Medela Easy Expression Hands-Free Bustier, Black, Medium
Amazon and stores
I hate pictures of women pumping. Ugh. Sorry. This also is a stark reminder of how much I hate pumping. I don't think this is exciting or anything, but it's a complete necessity for a working, breastfeeding momma. Or at least with a job like mine. I type my patient notes while pumping milk to feed the baby. Multitasking at it's finest. I suppose even a stay-at-home mom would appreciate having 2 hands free while pumping. Then again... I'm sorry that you're pumping while home with your baby... because I truly hate that.

Side note.... Baby girl has a major case of the hiccups right now and it's driving me nuts. Breathe, little one, breathe....

Rock 'N Play
found on amazon and stores
This is Andrew's most recommended baby item. We got this handed down from my brother and it's the basic version. The link and picture is the deluxe version, which I believe has a vibrator and a toy attachment. Even the most basic version (what we have) is amazing. Babies just love it! Or at least, ours and all our friends' who tried it loved it! Can't get your baby to sleep for very long? Try this!

Flannel Burp Cloths
Contoured Burp Cloths by | Cloud9 Fabrics, roll several up and tie them with a bow, neat and useful gift.:
Homemade: here's one of many patterns
I think homemade flannel burp cloths are the best! When I'm dealing with yucky icky things I want them to at least enjoy the prints and colors (part of why I love cloth diapering). Sure those plain white diapers are super absorbent and handily already made... but if you don't sew, find someone who does who can make you a stash of these for your baby. :) Or ask me, and I'll make them for you!

Burt's Bees Shampoo and Body Wash
Burt's Bees Baby Bee Shampoo and Body Wash - Scented - 21 oz
found in most stores
Now this is actually something that I've recently changed my mind on. We've been using this on Corbo since he was born and he's never had a bad reaction to it, I love the way it smells, and I figured it was healthier than BabyMagic or Johnson&Johnson (which Corbo DID have a reaction to) since it's natural. However, with my handy dandy EWG Skin Deep App I've learned that the original scented kind is rated a 3 (anything below a 4 is good enough for me) but the fragrance-free version (pictured above) is only a 1! I haven't tried it yet but I think I would miss the smell!

on that note...                                        Shea Moisture Baby Lotion
Shea Moisture Organic Raw Shea Chamomile and Argan Oil Baby Healing Lotion 12 Ounce ( 6 Pack )
Most stores & Amazon
This lotion is a 1 on EWG and it smells DELIGHTFUL!!! Their shampoo and wash is also only a 1 and I imagine it must have a similar smell so I think that is what I will try next. 

Munchkin 360 Sippy Cup
Munchkin Miracle BPA Free 360 Degree Sippy Cup Green
amazon and some stores
This is definitely my favorite sippy cup. We have used a large variety of sippy cups since I had a large variety passed down to me, but this is one I actually purchased on my own! It is considered spill-proof... but as with most every sippy cup, they should be listed as spill-resistant, not spill-proof! 
You can drink anywhere around the rim, no special place, and there is no straw or sippy spout for kids to become attached to. I may be partial to this cup since it is recommended by dentists since it has no spout. :) 
Munchkin Snack Cup
most stores and amazon
I suppose any snack cup would work fine and more or less then same. This is the kind we have. I more so just wanted to point out that this is a super nice thing to have for your toddler. Makes going out so much easier.
Summer Infant Tiny Diner Placemat
Summer Infant Tiny Diner Portable Placemat, Green
amazon
We got this as a hand-me-down from my sister/nephews and I thought I would never use it and that it was a silly thing to have or want. My, how I was wrong! Once your little one starts feeding themselves and outgrows their high chair table, this is the next thing to move to! It has suction cups under it to keep it in place- which is very important for curious toddlers who like to move everything. It also has the catch tray for when their food doesn't go straight in their mouths. (I think I need one of these for myself...) Anyway- It has made clean up after meals SO much easier!

Skip Hop Travel Bib
amazon
This is a great bib to keep in your diaper bag (or purse). It folds up into itself and takes up a tiny amount of space in your bag. It also has that little food catcher pouch that miraculously catches the food your babe drops. It's a thin material that you can easily toss in the washer. (if you remember to get it out of your bag.)

Now if you have any interest in (which every expecting mom should at least consider...) or curiosity about cloth diapering... here are a few of my favorite supplies...

Bum Genius 4.0 *apparently now it's 5.0 OS Pocket Diaper
BumGenius 4.0 One-Size Cloth Diaper - Armadillo - Snap
CottonBabies or Amazon
I also like their all-in-ones (AIO) for some times, but this is my favorite go-to quality diaper. I've tried 4 different brands of diapers and this is my favorite. I would recommend if you're starting out cloth diapering to get a couple different brands and kinds so you can find the one that works best with your washing system and baby. This happens to be mine. I've since gotten rid of almost all the other brands and stocked up on this kind. When I was getting my stash, they were all solid colors, except maybe a couple of prints. Now they have more exciting prints, which makes me sad that I already have enough diapers!
Kanga Care Wet Bag
Amazon
I started out with the very popular PlanetWise wet and wet/dry bags to store dirty cloth diapers in, but despite their large selection of cute prints, there are some things about them that I don't love. I have since found this Kanga Care brand and it has cute prints AND the function that I didn't find in the PlanetWise brand. The main thing that I didn't like about the PlanetWise bags is that there is a lining that is not attached to the outside, except at the zipper. So when you throw in the wash with your diapers, the liner comes out, gets all twisted and is sometimes VERY difficult to unravel, usually causing you to spill water all over the place because it created a pocket for it. Ugh. This Kanga Care brand is all one layer and you don't have that issue! It also folds up smaller/nicer to put in your diaper bag, and since you shouldn't dry either kind in the dryer- this one air dries back to it's soft feel. The PlanetWise is stiff and annoying- like when you hang dry jeans instead of fluffing them in the dryer. Yuck. I also think this bag does a better job of hiding the smell.
speaking of smell...
Diaper Fresh
8 oz Diaper-Fresh!
amazon
When your diaper bags or pails are getting stinky before you have a chance to wash them- spray some of this in the bag and it will neutralize the odor! So easy. I bought an 8 oz bottle and it's still mostly full- doesn't take much and I don't use it that often.

Spray Pal
amazon
I absolutely recommend a diaper sprayer to clean your poopy diapers (once your kid is on solids, or formula) for a hands-off approach to yucky diapers. However, you can spray your diapers without a sprayPal, or you'll get splatter all over your bathroom. Yuck. You just clip the diaper at the top and spray away. So easy.

Well, that's all for now. Like I said, I'll let you know if and when I find more things I just can't live without once I start all over again with baby girl!!!

Thanks for reading! Feel free to share or ask any questions!

2 comments:

  1. The Aden and Anais swaddle blankets are my favorite! I'm going to order those sippy cups now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they the best?! And hurray for the sippy cup! :)

      Delete