Saturday, January 25, 2014

Week 36: He Dropped!



Size of Baby: honeydew... 6-7 lbs
What's that Babe up to: being big and getting bigger!
Symptoms: ankle, foot, and hand swelling. Still having bloody noses, back pain, sciatic pain, shoulder pain.
Food cravings or aversions: nothing... Although my appetite has greatly diminished since my stomach must be squished! I stared at my burger and corn casserole for a good 15 minutes before I had the energy and desire to eat it. I almost finished it..
Weight: 195
Weight gain so far: 47 lbs

Stretch Marks: yeppers, and getting more!
Sleep: Not QUITE as bad this week, since Andrew and I started sleeping in separate beds again... makes me sad, but it's just more practical!
Best moment this week: taking TWO baths!!!

Miss Anything: my ankles, my hands, my sleep. Being able to get a massage while lying on my stomach.
Movement: he's an active little guy....
Belly Button: half out, half in

Wedding Rings: no way
Looking Forward To: My Dr appt on Tuesday when I get to see if I'm "progressing" at all!



Journal:
Last weekend we had our communications class in Indy, which went very well, but my favorite part of the trip was the fact that we had a bathtub in our hotel room. We somehow ended up getting an upgrade to the VIP floor with access to the VIP lounge where we had free drinks and snacks and such like. It was a pregnant woman's dream. But the bathtub was still better. It was just a normal small sized one but for someone who never gets to sit in a tub it was quite luxurious!!! The second night I was so tired I fell asleep while soaking. I loved it. I need a bathtub in my life.

Sunday night was probably the worst night of sleep yet, for both of us. I woke up just an hour after going to bed and then proceeded to wake up EVERY HOUR or more. Andrew also woke up most of those times too. I just felt funny, the baby was moving funnily, and I couldn't get comfortable... not to mention the times I had to pee too. (Monday night I started sleeping in the spare bed, which is going much better.) Monday morning I got up to go to work and still felt different, like more stiff and sore and just.... different. It hit me once I was walking waddling at work, why everything was different... THE BABY DROPPED!!! Oh he sure did. I feels like I'm carrying a bowling ball super-low. I can actually feel space around my ribs, not just a hard baby. I don't run out of breath when I'm talking and eating as much as I used to run out of breath. My ribs are still sore, but they are constantly being attacked like they were before. So wonderful. However.... now I have hip and pelvis soreness, sciatic pain shooting down my leg that temporarily paralyzes (or collapses) me, and my lower back has become more sore with sharper pain. I take it all as to mean, we must be getting closer... he's getting ready to come out the right way.

I'm still afraid of having to have a C-section. OH MY... I almost forgot. Sunday night's sleep/lack there of  included a NIGHTMARE to process. I had a dream that Andrew and I went to the hospital and that was the last thing I remembered. I came out of my coma at home and realized I wasn't pregnant anymore. I asked in a panic if I had a c-section. I told him I didn't remember anything and that he had to tell me everything. Then I asked him if they fixed my knee (?) while I was out and I pulled up my pants to see a bar sticking out of my bones, holding it at a 90 degree angle. I started freaking out and told him he better tell me everything that happened. I did indeed have a c-section and the baby did not make it. Then I woke up. Tell me this, how do you have a good day when you have a restless night of sleep topped off with a dream that your baby died during a caesarean. It took lots of praise songs and prayers to get me to work that day.

Let's discuss my swelling once more. It's gotten progressively worse. My feet and hands are the worst, and my shins are even showing some pitting edema as well. How exciting. I like to take pictures of the swelling and post them online so everyone can see how gross my body is becoming. It's humorous to me. However, I've realized it's caused quite a concern for some who see it.... especially those in the medical profession. Rest assured, my blood pressure is good, and minimal protein is showing in my urine. My doctor is aware of the swelling and of everyone's concerns, but she has assured me that it is fine, and we will keep an eye on it at each appointment. Something tells me I should take that picture of my foot along.... just in case she's not realizing the fullness of the swelling.... no pun intended. ha! My hand swelling has caused carpal tunnel in my right hand, which as a hygienist is quite unfortunate. I have no feeling in the fingertips of my right hand, except my pinky, which is, of course, the only finger I don't use for work. I rely heavily on my ultrasonic scaler to remove most everything, since my tactile sensitivity is not up to snuff when it comes to handscaling. I used to wear size Small gloves. I moved up to Mediums a little while ago, but my right hand started cramping in those, so now I'm in Large gloves for my right hand. They had to be special ordered... I officially have the biggest hands of the office. In fact, I think I have the biggest EVERYTHING 

my swollen hand: engagement ring cutting off circulation to pinky finger!
trying to show how swollen my hands are. 
pretty obvious how swollen my feet are!


2 comments:

  1. Oh when I read this all I could think of was "yep, i know exactly what she is going through." I understand completely! I gained 65 pounds topping out at 215, I outgrew almost all of my maternity clothes, I had a baby that never dropped so breathing was difficult, I couldn't wear my wedding ring, I had to wear Old Navy MENS flip flops and my favorite outfit was Chris' shorts and a 2XL t-shirt. I wasn't sure I would make it. And when we found out that the baby was over 10 pounds and a c-section was a must (because of his size and position), I was more than ready for it to be done. But I just did my research on a c-section and it went really smooth. Checked in to hospital and 2 hours later there was a baby and I wasn't too exhausted. It is a surgery, but I was up and walking by that evening and walking around the maternity ward the next day. It's still labor, just different. And for safety reasons Chris and I decided it was better to have a planned c-section, then to try a natural delivery, have complications and then have to have an emergency c-section. It's different for everyone, and I understand that. Good luck with everything and when its all said and done, you have a baby. And that's pretty awesome no matter how they got here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, sciatic nerve pain is awful! And those swollen hand pictures are crazy! I've had awful pregnancy dreams like that too - it's the worst, and it feels so realistic. So exciting though that he dropped!

    ReplyDelete