Thursday, November 21, 2013

Week 27: Failed Urine Test!

{insert imaginary picture here}
Size of Baby: a rutabaga!
What's that Babe up to: showing brain activity. We're gonna have a pretty smart baby...
Symptoms: heartburn, lower back pain, bloody noses, leg and foot cramps, frequent urination, extreme thirst at night

Food cravings or aversions: anything sweet- more on that in a bit
Weight: 181. totally gained 5 pounds this week. I'm so screwed.....
Weight gain so far: like 33lbs or something. I know. I said I'm screwed.
Maternity Clothes: I just want to wear yoga pants every day.
Stretch Marks: unfortunately I have a couple on my hips, bilaterally. None on my belly!
Sleep: getting a lot of hours of interrupted sleep again. With Andrew going to work earlier we go to bed earlier but I still get up at the same time.... But I get up 3-4 times a night to pee and drink.
Best moment this week: spending time with my mom, sister, and nieces this weekend!!!
Miss Anything: dessert

Movement: morning, night, anytime I lay on my back, and now randomly throughout the day
Belly Button: looks less flat- half of it looks like it might pop out, the other half is hidden and hard to see...
Wedding Rings: I've been struggling to get my engagement ring off at work, so I'm gonna leave it off during the week and just wear it on the weekends.... until it doesn't fit
Looking Forward To: seeing my awesome friends, Stephanagy and Alexa, in Virginia this weekend!!!

{insert imaginary picture here}

Journal:
   This is bad. This is very bad. This has the potential to get really really downright wretched. Tuesday I had my regular OB checkup. I'm pretty used to the routine- walk in, drop purse and coat and step on the scale, try not to be ashamed of the number and happily follow the nurse to the room where I plop my things inside and go to the bathroom to pee in a dixie cup, then go back to the room, get my blood pressure checked and wait for the doctor......

Well...... Tuesday the nurse came back in instead of the doctor. She told me that my glucose was high in my urine test. That's right... sugar in my pee. And so she needed to check my blood. Awesome. She pricks my finger (ow!) and squeezes it to get some blood, except that no blood comes. So then she pricks my other finger REALLY HARD (OWWW!) and says, "Sorry, that was mean." Seriously, she said that. That finger is still sore. At least I got a pink camo band-aid. Anyway, my blood sugar was 95 and she told me that was good. I wouldn't know. I cursed the lucky charms I had for breakfast that morning. (I later remembered I also had 2 chocolate chip cookies for breakfast.... so all I had eaten so far that day were 2 cookies and a bowl of sugary cereal)
My doctor came in smiling and I like to smile when greeting people but this made her ask if I was expecting to hear that news. No. No, I was not. And I'm NOT happy about it, even more so when she told me she was restricting me to NO sugar!!! Who does she think I am?!? Yeah, I feel tough enough to go through labor without an epidural but I know my limits when it comes to self-control in the food department. Specifically, the sweets aisle of that department! I don't know that I can do that!!! I got home from the appointment all sorts of depressed and upset and thought about all great food we had in our house... not just the fruit snacks and smarties I've been loving, but since it was Andrew's birthday, we have birthday cake, texas sheet cake, my MIL's chocolate chip cookies, his grandma's cinnamon buns. I had plans for making a shoo-fly pie soon, along with some pumpkin rolls. I have a cup of hot chocolate almost every day. Sweets are a very large part of my life and contribute greatly to my happiness. I've always said diabetes is the disease that I want the least... ever. (I'm sure if I had cancer, or leprosy I'd change my mind) but I know that I'd be a terrible diabetic. Having gestational diabetes would definitely affect how much I've been loving this pregnancy. Let's hope it doesn't come to that. I just can't help jumping to the worst right now...

 So I was going to have my glucose screening scheduled within the next week or so anyway, but she said because of yesterday's test she wanted to have it done before the end of the week. SO, this morning (I conveniently didn't have any patients until the afternoon) I went in for the one hour glucose screening. I'm pretty sure my doctor was expecting me to fail. I haven't gotten my results back yet, so I guess you'll just have to check back next week to see if I have to take the dreaded 3 hour test!!! Although, maybe it's not as bad as people make it sound. That's how today went. I've read and heard so much about the glucose drink you have to chug and how awful it tastes and people want to vomit it out, etc. etc. Well..... I must have the world's largest sweet tooth or something, because I thought it tasted good!!! haha! It's way better than Mountain Dew- which I think tastes like a sugary syrup. My flavor was orange. I mean, I wouldn't pick it out of a cooler to drink, but I chugged it no problem. :) Then I walked around the hospital a little bit and found some sofas by a fireplace. It was a great place to spend my 60 minute sugar high and crash. Actually I didn't feel any different, ever. I can handle my sugar pretty well. hehe! I spent my time writing out recipes on index cards to declutter my cookbook area of printed recipes. Afterwards I was SOOO hungry (my doctor made me fast for the test) so I stopped next door to Lefty's Pizza (where I didn't see any hairnets or hats...) and enjoyed their pizza buffet and salad bar. I totally made up for my missed breakfast.

Speaking of salads... I've finally started exercising again. Ever since the time change I haven't been going on my walks like I used to. I miss it- they always made me feel so good. But now it's dark when I get home from work. So now I'm borrowing my friend's exercise bike and I plan to bike at least a little bit every day. I started yesterday and so far I haven't missed a day! ;)

Tonight I spent some money on my feet-aches. I bought some little toe-less, heel-less sock band things that have a gel mound under my arch that I can walk around barefoot with! I've been trying them out so far and I like it! They aren't the MOST comfortable-fitting thing ever, but my arch doesn't feel like it's stretching beyond it's capabilities like it does without anything. I also got some Dr Scholl's inserts for my non-Croc shoes. They are specifically for sore arches, so hopefully they help. Then finally, I bought some epsom salts for foot soaks. Ahhh yes, that sounds delightful right now.


No comments:

Post a Comment